Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The NAMI Conference

My name is Letitia and I would like to share with you about the wonderful time that we had at the annual NAMI conference this year. We arrived around 3pm or so, checked into our rooms, and relaxed for a while. I, along with six other Clubhouse members and our great Friends in Action Clubhouse, went out for a simple relaxing dinner before attending the membership meeting. Followed by the five film movie screening showing the trials and triumphs of people living day to day with their struggles, but not giving up. We enjoyed having an opportunity to learn about all the good NAMI does from family to family training, peer to peer, and the warm line. Saturday morning we had a great breakfast, learned more about new medicines, and what NAMI is doing around the state. The most important thing that we as members of NAMI can do is let people know we are not alone and we must never give up on our fight to end the stigma. I attended a group session on healing, childhood trauma, hoarding, a personal journey, and community mental health liasons. Everything I learned at the conference just motivates me even more to continue to strive to advocate for myself and others who’s struggle is similar to mine. Nami truly is about recovery.
Letitia D

No comments:

Post a Comment